Most Active Stories
- Ypsi Firefighters to Present Hybrid Police/Fire Concerns to City Council
- March Against Monsanto comes to Ann Arbor
- Layoff Notices for Ann Arbor School Employees
- Ypsilanti Community Schools Schedule and Transportation Plan Near Completion
- Unification Of Ypsilanti And Willow Run School Districts Fast Approaching
Thu March 7, 2013
'December's Moon' Will Brighten Your Day (or Night)
This morning WEMU premiered "December's Moon" the CD by organist/pianist/accordionist Ron Oswanski.
Oswanski grew up in Toledo, Ohio and Monroe, Michigan. He is a former WEMU Heritage Festival Jazz Competition winner. His is a very cool and contemporary approach to jazz organ eschewing the standard funk groove. "December's Moon" is an important library addition because Tecumseh native, saxophonist Tim Ries produced the session for Ron Oswanski and is the featured saxophonist. We paired Ron Oswanski's disc up with two women players who play organ in a creative fashion: Barbara Dennerlein and Carla Bley for a fresh take on Women's History Month. For a little traditional contrast to Oswanski, Bley and Dennerlein we put Shirley Scott, Duncan McMillan and Charles Earland in the mix. The playlist this morning even included the father of jazz organ, Fats Waller! Thanks for listening today!