Elections are right around the corner and the future of the controversial Enbridge Line 5 may be put in the hands of those elected. Then again, the State of Michigan has reached agreement with Enbridge to bury the 65-year old pipeline in a concrete tunnel in the Straits of Mackinac. That binding agreement could be enacted in a lame duck session of the legislature, post-election. As it turns out, that agreement may be in violation of a treaty with the Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians. Desmond Berry is the Natural Resources Department Manager for the Band and is this week’s guest on 89.1 WEMU’s “1st Friday Focus on the Environment.”
Lisa’s career spans over two decades of environmental and conservation advocacy in the political arena. She is a nationally- recognized expert in non-profit growth and management and a leader in Great Lakes protections. Lisa is a three-time graduate from the University of Michigan, with a Bachelors Degree and two ensuing Masters Degrees in Social Work and Education.
Lisa serves a co-host and content partner in 89.1 WEMU's '1st Friday Focus on the Environment.'
89.1 WEMU’s “Line 5” content:
- Issues Of The Environment: Ann Arbor Filmmaker Takes On Enbridge 'Line 5'
- Line 5 Protests Backdrop To Mackinac Island Conference
- Energy Chief Says Enbridge Downplayed Damage To Line 5 Safety Coating
- Snyder Administration Announces Plan For The Future Of Line 5
- Pipeline Advisory Board Has Recommendations For Governor On Line 5
- 1st Friday Focus On The Environment: A Call To Remove 'Line 5' From The Great Lakes
- Line 5 Films | WEMU
- The Green Room: Pipelines-Part 3
- 1st Friday Focus On The Environment: What To Do About Enbridge 'Line 5'
- State Agencies Weigh In On Enbridge Line 5 Pipeline
- Enbridge Ordered To Restore Coating On Parts Of Line 5
- Line 5 | WEMU
- State Agencies Hear Public Comment For Enbridge Line 5 Pipeline
- Enbridge Says Second Pressure Test Shows Line 5 Is Safe
- Public Meetings Start Over New Report On Enbridge’s Line 5
- 1st Friday Focus On The Environment: Addressing 'Line 5' And The Budget At Mackinac Island
- 6th Circuit Says Enbridge Line 5 Can Run Through National Forest
- Canada Sends Letter Supporting Line 5, Environmental Groups Voice Frustration
- Michigan DEQ Scraps Line 5 Safety Report
- Report Says Line 5 Sustainable Indefinitely; Critics Disagree
- Enbridge Will Be On The Hot Seat At Michigan Pipeline Board Meeting
- Issues Of The Environment: Modeling Effects Of Great Lakes Oil Spills
- enbridge | WEMU
- Michigan Legislature Returns – But Will Likely Save Big Issues For After The Election
- Straits of Mackinac | WEMU
- Michigan Agency for Energy | WEMU
- Pipeline Advisory Board Sees Tunnel Plan
Non-commercial, fact based reporting is made possible by your financial support. Make your donation to WEMU today to keep your community NPR station thriving.