Trumpeter Christian Scott delivered not only one of the most meaningful jazz CDs of 2012 with "Christian Atunde Adjuah", but he also delivered one of the most inspirational live performances of the year with his appearance in the "Tribute to Treme" at the 2012 Detroit Jazz Festival. Scott's music is "as serious as your life", yet is imbued with energy and a celebration of life.
It was pure joy to watch his uncle, saxophonist Donald Harrison, Jr. watch his protege improvise and interact with members of The Preservation Hall Jazz Band. They, too were proud of this young flame-keeper from the Crescent City. I also got to observe Christian Scott in action with other musicians at the "jam sessions" in the hotel each evening as the stages closed down. He is respected and admired by musicians of all generations and genres.
Those musical genres weave in and out of both discs in the collection "Christian Atunde Adjuah" and once again, we recommend that you check it out. We are definitely looking at a candidate for WEMU "Jazz CD of the year" in this expansive and passionate CD.
~ Linda Yohn
WEMU “SWEET SIXTEEN” AIRPLAY August 27 to September 2, 2012:
LINDA YOHN, MUSIC DIRECTOR
1. CHRISTIAN SCOTT “Christian Atunde Adjauh” (Concord Jazz)
2. LAKECIA BENJAMIN “Retox” (Motema Music)
3. SHEMEKIA COPELAND “33 1/3” (Telarc)
4. CHICK COREA & GARY BURTON “Hot House” (Concord Jazz)
5. RANDY CRAWFORD & JOE SAMPLE “Live” (PRA Records)
6. DIRTY DOZEN BRASS BAND "Twenty Dozen" (Savoy Jazz)
7. JOHNNIE BASSETT “I Can Make That Happen” (Sly Dog Records)
8. ROBERT CRAY BAND “Nothin But Love” (Provogue)
9. THE SUGARMAN THREE “What The World Needs Now” (Daptone)
10. JIMMY CLIFF “Rebirth” (Sunpower)
11. GRANT GEISSMAN “Bop! Bang! Boom!” (Futurism Records)
12. GREG LEWIS “Organ Monk: Uwo In The Black” (www.greglewismusic.com)
13. TAJ MAHAL “The Hidden Treasures of Taj Mahal” (Columbia/Legacy)
14. PAT METHENY “Unity Band” (Nonesuch Records)
15. MIKE STERN “All Over The Place” (Heads Up International)
16. ANTIBALAS “Antibalas” (Daptone)
~COMPILED BY LINDA YOHN AND DANIEL LONG