Zingerman’s Roadhouse is open for business this morning. A carbon monoxide leak on Tuesday forced evacuation of the restaurant.
Six workers at the restaurant were taken to the hospital for evaluation. Zingerman’s co-founder Ari Weinzweig says five were quickly released. A few will need some additional oxygen treatments. One worker was hospitalized overnight for observation and has not yet been released.
Weinzweig says a faulty boiler was the source of the carbon monoxide release. That boiler has been repaired and a replacement ordered. Once the new boiler arrives, the old one will be replaced.
Additionally, Weinzweig says the restaurant has a second boiler that is operational.
Weinzweig says in roughly 40 years of working in the restaurant business, he has never before experienced something like this.
Non-commercial, fact based reporting is made possible by your financial support. Make your donation to WEMU today to keep your community NPR station thriving.