UM And OSU Student Newspapers Joint-Publish Rivalry Week Edition
While the football teams at Michigan and Ohio State prepare to battle against one another, the Michigan Daily and The Lantern have teamed with one another to highlight the historic rivalry and raise awareness about the importance of student journalism. The Daily’s Max Marcovitch and The Lantern’s Griffin Strom check in to discuss the first-ever collaboration between the papers, the ongoing football rivalry, and predictions for Saturday’s game.
UM / OSU Rivalry Issue:
The first-ever joint publication between The Michigan Daily and The Ohio State Lantern is an opportunity for two football rivals to collaborate off the gridiron. The students of The Daily and The Lantern began working on a joint edition this past summer and decided it was a novel way to both raise funds and awareness of the importance of student journalism.
- The publication is half of one edition, and flipped 180 degrees, it is the rival’s edition
- Distribution conducted jointly in Ann Arbor and Columbus
- Print release date: Tuesday, November 26th
- Digital release date: Tuesday, November 26th
- 15,000 printed copies, total (7,500 for each publication to distribute)
- Fundraising competition through crowdsourcing: Link/URL to come
- Fundraising goals: Goal at launch is $10,000 for each paper.
Ultimate goal: Increase awareness of the hard work of student journalists and the service they provide to their communities and the wider world.
Game Day Predictions:
Marcovitch: Ohio State-38 Michigan-20
Strom: Ohio State-31 Michigan-20
Non-commercial, fact based reporting is made possible by your financial support. Make your donation to WEMU today to keep your community NPR station thriving.