Local Musician Paul Keller Talks About The Return To Pre-Pandemic Performances
The impact of the ongoing pandemic is different for everyone. It's been tough for local musicians who earn a living with live performances, which have been put on hold for over the past year due to the global health crisis.
WEMU's Lisa Barry talks with local composer and musician Paul Keller about how he is emerging from the pandemic with more and more local performances, including several special events coming up this week.
Saline composer and bassist Paul Keller says, despite a bit of a personal slump at the start of the pandemic, he later learned that "stopping the music was not an option." He has written 50 songs in the past year and 20 big band arrangements. He performed live on his Facebook page but says, gradually in recent weeks, the live, in-person gigs have resumed. He said he is fully vaccinated and glad to be back performing in public and hugging friends and fans once again.
Paul talks about "Jazz Parties" that have taken place around the country and how what he has planned for this week might be considered a "Mini Jazz Party." He will be joined by several outstanding musicians, who are coming to the Ann Arbor area for special performances.
The information for them is below:
- Wednesday, June 16: Rosanno Sportiello, Eddie Metz and Paul Keller perform a 7 PM live stream jazz concert at theSteinway Gallery of Detroit. View and hear the concert tonight or later online at theSteinway Jazz Café Facebook page or on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jICVdFhBmxk">YouTube.
- Thursday, June 17: Rossano Sportiello, Eddie Metz, and Paul Keller play from 6:30 till 9:30 PM at the London Chop House in downtown Detroit.
- Friday, June 18: Rossano Sportiello, Eddie Metz, and Paul Keller perform (weather permitting), outdoors atZal Gaz Grotto from 6 PM till 8:30 PM. If it rains, the concert will be moved to Paul Keller’s barn, 125 W. Willis Rd., Saline MI 48176. The public is welcome.
- Saturday, June 19: Rosanno Sportiello, Eddie Metz, and Paul Keller perform at the learner theater in downtown Elkhart as part of the Elkhart Jazz Festival. 5 PM concert.
- Sunday, June 20: Rosanno Sportiello, Eddie Metz, and Paul Keller will present an online concert broadcast on Rosanno Sportiello‘s Facebook page and YouTube. 6 PM concert.
Non-commercial, fact based reporting is made possible by your financial support. Make your donation to WEMU todayto keep your community NPR station thriving.